Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

Summer "Bucket" List: Play Pooh Sticks



"Then he dropped two in at once, and leant over the bridge to see which of them would come out first; and one of them did; but as they were both thesame size, he didn't know if it was the one which he wanted to win, or the other one. So the next time he dropped one big one and one little one, and the big one came out first, which was what hehad said it would do, and thelittle one came out last, which was what he had said it would do, so he had won twice. And that was the beginning of the game called Poohsticks." - A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner, ch.6.

In the traditional version of Pooh Sticks, the participants each must drop a stick simultaneously on the upstream side of a bridge and run to the other side to see whose stick first appears on the other side of the bridge, and is the winner.

There is a Pooh Sticks Championship held every year in March at Day's Lock on the River Thames, England.

Originally posted Jul 22, 2012

12 comments:

  1. That is so neat. I love that your kids get to experience so much. I need to be more creative, like you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Pooh Sticks! It would be great if you'd share this with the All Year Round Summer Carnival. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband l played pooh sticks when young and we played and still play it with our grown up children. I have taught it to hundreds of children. Long may pooh sticks remain a favorite games with child and their parents.!!!We also love Winnie the Pooh stories. My husband read Winnie the Pooh to me when l was in labour....we had quite a lot of nurses listening out side the ward door..very funny!!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to have a "pooh stick" spot! So fun! We haven't been there in a while. You make me want to visit there soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of pooh sticks but it sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't remember it until you explained it. How much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Pooh Sticks as a kid! My boys have played them on occasion too, fun memories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing more about this game. Sounds like a lot of fun . I can't wait to play this with the children.

    ReplyDelete
  9. aww! This brought a smile to my face! I love Pooh sticks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We play that all the time - but I had forgotten it's mentioned in the Pooh story...I can see a Pooh picnic in our future :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful! We read the book several years ago, but haven't played pooh sticks. That is going to make our 2013 summer bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this a really budget friendly family fun activity !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.